Saturday, December 8, 2007

Fabrications IV: Fibers and Finery

I just got back from the Fabrications artists open house at Crossings. It was tremendous fun to meet all the other artists and hear about what kinds of things they do.


There were several jewelry artists. I admit, I'm not much into jewelry, but I am starting to appreciate the different types and methods of jewelry making. There were some fused glass pieces that I liked a lot, as well as some made from metalic clay that is then baked or fired to reveal the metal. They were all pretty. One lady was also a painter, so she had scanned some of her artwork into pendant sizes and made necklaces.


The silk fusion pieces were beautiful. Another artist dyed silk. I bought one of her scarves for my mother in law. The wool hooked-rug pieces were attractive...much more contemporary designs rather than the traditional looking pieces you might expect to see in hooked rugs.


There were all kinds of knitted scarves, weaving, pieced table runners, and Native American mandelas. There were even vessels woven from water-colored paper.
I must admit I was quite pleased when Crossings owner, Marie Marvin told me she like my pieces. I guess I am a praise junkie.


Here are some of the pieces I submitted for the show.

No comments: